Wednesday, July 1, 2015

TMFW 95 - I Miss My Sister / I Really Miss Her

Tonight's TMFW comes to you from a hotel room in St. Louis.  I'm here with my family because earlier today, I lost my sister.  For much of the last decade, she battled her demons, and today they finally won.  They messed with her pretty good along the way, too.  She was only 40 years old, and leaves behind two young sons.  My sister and I weren't especially close in her final years, but she was my only sibling and I loved her a lot.  She was smart, and funny, and generous.  I will miss her.
 
Apropos of TMFW, I owe much of my taste in music to her.  She introduced me to a host of bands that I still love, and she took me to my first all-ages show (They Might Be Giants at Mississippi Nights, 10/2/1992).  So in tribute to her, here's a link to the terrific song "My Sister" by the Juliana Hatfield Three.  And to cover off the "Facts" in True Music Facts Wednesday, here's a fun "oral history" of the song, which was an alternative hit for Ms. Hatfield - who actually didn't have a sister - in 1994 and landed her on the cover of Spin.  
 
Goodnight, Sissy.

No comments:

Post a Comment